October 11, 2018
Progress has been made in our mid century modern kitchen renovation! But I’m not going to lie! I am really feeling the pressure about getting this done by the One Room Challenge reveal day. Especially because we are going on a short vacation to Havasupai next week. I have everything mapped out in my head, and if everything goes to plan, we should finish. I just hope that we don’t run into much more challenges from here on out! Me and my husband both work full time, so we are doing everything from about 5 pm to 2 am every night. Yikes! That’s dedication, considering how much I love to sleep.
I shared a progress picture of where were were at last week. But, I wanted to share a couple more pictures of what it took to get there. We demoed the existing tile, subfloor, cabinets and even took out a wall that separated the living room and kitchen. We also replaced plumbing and electrical. The whole demo process took a lot longer than expected, but it was pretty much just running into a lot of things that we weren’t anticipating and then having to figure out what we were going to do to fix it. For example, it took us forever to figure out if we could even take out the wall that we wanted to. We got a couple of opinions and they were all mixed! The last thing that we wanted to do was take out a wall that would compromise the structure of our house. We ended up having to demo the basement ceiling for the plumbing and electrical and we figured out that the wall wasn’t even sitting on a floor joist or ceiling truss so there was no way that it was a load bearing wall. I was so stoked about that!
This week we finished repairing drywall and smoothing out the walls to match the smooth plaster. We also painted and prepped the subfloor for tile by taping the joints and leveling some uneven spots with mortar. The paint color that we went with is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace. I really love how crisp and modern it looks. It goes great with the straight lines in the architecture and the smooth wall texture. My husband decided to bite the bullet a buy an airless paint sprayer. We will eventually be painting our whole house and cabinets, so he thought that it would be worth the investment. It has been great so far! Much better than rolling in my opinion!
Speaking of cabinets, it is an IKEA factory in our living room. There are two types of people in this world, people who like to build IKEA products and people who despise it. Luckily, I quite enjoy it and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am pretty dang good at it! Right now, all of our cabinet frames are built, so once the tile is ready, we can start install.
Like I mentioned in my Week 1 post, we are using IKEA cabinet frames with custom doors made by a company called Semihandmade. Here is what our cabinets doors look like right now.
Semihandmade does make doors that come ready for install, but we chose the DIY Shaker style so that we can paint them a custom paint color. But just between you and me, I am still totally torn on a paint color! So don’t be surprised if the cabinet color ends up a totally different than the one in the inspiration collage that I created for Week 1.
I have really high hopes for our progress the next couple of days. Tile will be going down, then once it is grouted and all set, we will start installing our base cabinets so that the countertop company can come and do their template before we leave. Crossing my fingers that I will be able to share a successfully tiled room with base cabinets installed with you next week.
Send good vibes for more progress to be made! Best of luck to all of the other One Room Challengers! I have loved looking around the blogosphere at everyone’s progress! Make sure to check out the other participants in the One Room Challenge!
In case you missed last weeks post, here is a link for Week 1! (inspiration + kitchen before pictures!)